Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Reading List

I have stopped trying to prepare for Ethiopia. This is not to say that I am ready, unafraid, or confident, but I am resigned to the idea that Ethiopia will be there when I land. I am busy spending time with relatives, friends, and the dog.

I finished work yesterday and I now have recaptured around 50-60 hours a week. I have been putting around the house thinking of things I want to take. My mental packing list is comical, books and books and books are all I seem to want packed. I am reasonably confident that my fluctuating weight will render all clothes unnecessary. I think of things like: "I bet they don't have harmonicas..." or "What if I end up in a philosophical conversation without the resource of the internet..." and "I wonder if my host family would like basketball, I should probably pack my baseball gloves."

Here are the books I plan to pack. They mostly consist of all the material I avoided reading in philosophy classes and a few needed emotional strengths.

Philosophical Essays - G.W. Leibniz
Capital Vol. 1 - Karl Marx
The initial Dragonlance trilogy - Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman
Redwall - Brian Jacques
Where The Wild Things Are - Maurice Senedak
Meditations - Descartes
Sartre - David Drake
Cunning - Don Herzog

From what I have read, I wont really have any downtime to read until I am at my assignment, because mostly at night, when work is done, things can be a little lonely. I am unsure if I'll ever get to that point, but I figure at least I'll have books nearby which will comfort me all the same.

I am off to play a rousing game of lickface with Josie (the name of our dog, in case you are worried and maybe you still are)

No comments:

Post a Comment